📝 This is a special message, so you don't need to unsubscribe from your weekly updates. If you don't want to hear about podcast news from Sensible Woo, click here to silence anything else about this... and you'll still get your Tarot reading on Saturday!
It's a big week, y'all!
The School of Moxie Podcast is premiering *right now*! 🎉
Here are all the ways you can tune in to the first episode today and it will help you warm up into the ride that you're about to go on with my guests for season 1...
Looking for the transcript? 👀 You can always get transcripts, show notes, and links on my website in the podcast archive when you click here.
Podcast Episode Title:
The Last of Us: Business Lessons from the Apocalypse
Welcome to the School of Moxie podcast powered by Sensible Woo. I'm Mary Williams, your host, and we're flipping the script on business talk. Instead, we're infusing fun through pop culture, movies, and TV shows to navigate life as individuals.
I've been in the online creator game since 2010, and let's be real, entrepreneurs struggle to connect with their audience. That's where I come in – a biz systems and ops coach, showing you how to have fun and get authentic.
Here's the deal: Analogical thinking is our superpower. We use media and entertainment to unveil our values and who we are. Analogies? They're the bridges between vague problems and solid solutions. Trust me, it's a game-changer.
Season One is all about HBO's "The Last of Us." Spoilers ahead, so watch before you listen. This ain't your ordinary business podcast – it's where entrepreneurs bare it all. Buckle up because Season One is a wild ride! Expect surprises, juicy takes, and some union strike drama.
In the Hollywood hustle, it's the everyday folks who shine. Fame, fortune, and the real struggles – we're diving headfirst into pandemics, safe spaces, and the nitty-gritty. Hollywood's a treasure trove of biz tales, and we're blending them into your journey for success.
So, why "The Last of Us"? It pulled me out of a funk, and my guests agree. This show sparks emotions that helps you skip the fluff and dive into authenticity and humanity.
Quote from the episode
When we're fans of something, look how strongly we'll defend it. Here's your first analogous lesson. How strongly do you defend what happens in your business? Is it as strong as your fandom for your favorite show? That is food for thought for you right there.
~ Mary Williams, host of The School of Moxie Podcast
Discussed in this episode
- Disclaimer for our podcast alongside the SAG/AFTRA strike in 2023
- Why we’re using The Last of Us as a focal point to talk about business
- What is analogous thinking and why it’s an important skill for your business
- Where the movie & television analogies at Sensible Woo came from, which led to the creation of this podcast
- Differentiating The Last of Us from The Walking Dead
- Watching something you normally would not and the creative problem solving benefits you receive from the activity
- Unhooking from the usual messaging and funnels that are not working for online business the same way that they used to
- The empowering experience of listening to other people model authenticity in business conversations
- SAG/AFTRA strike news + rules
- The Last of Us video game created by Naughty Dog
- The Last of Us television series on HBO
- Bittersweet by Susan Cain
This episode has been sponsored by
We have amazing sponsors for our premiere week! I am beyond grateful for these incredibly generous individuals and their businesses. You'll hear them mentioned on each episode this week and you can start giving them some love by checking out what they offer through these links:
✨ The AK Collective with Amber Kinney
✨ Secret to Thriving Online Communities with Tonya Kubo
✨ Everyday Effectiveness with Gwen Bortner
✨ Custom Learning Atelier with Beth Salyers
- Subscribe to Sensible Woo’s free newsletter sent weekly with a free reading for your business included! Want more? Upgrade to the extended weekly Tarot & Akashic readings made exclusively for your business for just $9 per month.
Host & Guest information
Mary is the CEO and founder of Sensible Woo, home of The School of Moxie Podcast. A librarian by trade, who established herself in the entertainment industry as the digital archivist for a major animation production studio, she has consulted for not only entertainment companies, but also marketing agencies, tech start-ups, and non-profit fundraising organizations. For the last eight years, she’s been a business coach for highly-sensitive, neuro-divergent business owners, championing the focus on systems and data management as a solid foundation for sustainable businesses that scale. The motto at Sensible Woo is that you are always your best system, which means embracing the magic of your intuitive side is just as important as the data your business produces. Mary has been an online content creator since 2010, which makes her a tough old bird in the online entrepreneurship community and you should definitely ask her about all the crazy shit she’s seen people do online over the years. You can travel with Mary as she records guests in studios through her weekly emails, YouTube, Instagram, and Threads.
- Host, Writer, Producer: Mary Williams
- Sound Master: Chris Martin
- Marketing Support: The AK Collective
Support this show!